Oak Grove administration is happy to announce the plans we have for next year’s middle school program at Oak Grove. We want to make the middle school years a distinct and fruitful period in the educational lives of our students, and we have been doing some brainstorming and planning with middle school parents and as a staff team and board about how to make that happen. Here are some highlights and key points:
We have brainstormed some key middle school distinctives that we will be working to implement next school year:
- Specialized teachers
- Assembly/Chapel once a week
- Extracurricular activities (Debate team, Chess Club, Music team for Assembly/Chapel, etc.)
- Student Government (one of their responsibilities: to develop and complete a service project)
- “Athletics Connection” (an administrative service provided by OG to connect our students to middle school sports opportunities in Knox County)
- Projects: Middle School Science Fair and Middle School Debate
- Field Trips to extend and deepen study
- Digital citizenship/technology integration
Our structure, curriculum, and financial situation have led us to plan middle school as 5th through 8th grade, and we are excited for the opportunities we will be able to provide to all our students in these grade levels. We are thankful that we currently have enough students to implement this plan in the red program for 5th-6th graders and in the blue program for 5th-7th graders, but we would love to be able to share it with a few more!
We are planning a renewed enrollment push over the next few weeks to advertise this middle school plan for both the red and blue programs with the goal to enroll a few more students in each program. There will be a middle school open house on Tuesday evening, April 11th, so that we can communicate with potential families about our middle school program at Oak Grove. We could use your help to get the word out to family, friends, and neighbors who might be looking for a great alternative for educating their middle schoolers. Look for flyers and a Facebook announcement soon that you can like and share with your friends!